Friday Night Pep-Talk: Make a Plan to Stay Sober
How was your day today? It’s Friday again! Are you sober?
Fridays were always hard for me, it used to be my favorite day to drink, well any day was a great day to drink; I drank everyday anyways. But Friday was the day I could just plunge right in with no worries for tomorrow.
So when I was first getting sober, Fridays were a nightmare! As all my coworkers and friends were going out to party, I was trying to stay sober. I felt left out, and like I was lame and boring. The clock moved sooo slow. But I couldn’t go hang out with them, and drink a club soda all night, I have already tried that and it was OK the first few times, but eventually I ordered a drink. If there is anything that I have learned from my many relapses is that slippery places are, well slippery! I don’t belong in a place where alcohol is the primary attraction!!!
***Don’t put yourself with people or in situations where you’re likely to drink. There’s an old saying about “If you stand by the hot dog-cart long enough, you will most likely get a hot dog!
In early sobriety, I spent most of my time in the 12 step meetings – usually we went out to eat afterwards at some low-key restaurant. It was always nice and comforting to be around other people like me. If you are open to this idea, look up your local area intergroup for a list of Open meetings; anyone can attend an open meeting.
I also started to re-paint my entire condo, which was being quite neglected during my last months of drinking. I bought a can of different color paint for each room, and I would blast some fun music and paint till it was time to go to bed. This was definitely my favorite, it was creative, it took a good amount of time (at lease 4 or 5 Fridays to get it all done) and I had something clean and new to go along with my new-found sobriety.
Whatever you decided to do you, make a plan and do it!
Here are few other things that you might like to try to keep yourself occupied:
- Start a Blog! – yes! this is fun and a great support tool!
- Call/email someone! – you can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read blogs – check out BLOGS I FOLLOW in the right sidebar
- Buy a reward gift for yourself equal in price to what you would have spent on a Friday night out (about $50 for me – that can buy a nice reward gift!).
- Check out the library – remember those? They have gotten pretty high-tech!
- Rearrange the furniture in your house.
- Make a list of 100 random things about yourself.
- Make greeting cards for upcoming holidays.
- Write: 10 Minutes of Contemplation. Write all of your thoughts and associations as they occur for 10 minutes.
- Try on ALL the clothes in your closet.
- Find things to donate to Goodwill.
- Go to the local hardware store (Home Depot) – I am telling you, it’s an amazing place really!
- Write down 25 things that make you happy.
- Check out How Stuff Works.
- Sketch out your dream home, including the furniture.
- Bake cupcakes or a cake and decorate.
- Read the dictionary – you’d be surprised what great words you can find.
- Watch an old “feel good” movie. – My favorite: Singles!
- Take a bubble bath with candles and music.
Most of all take care of yourself and Don’t Drink No Matter What! YOU CAN DO THIS!
For other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts click HERE.
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)*, please check out the Sober Courage menu at the top of this page for an extensive list of support groups and recovery related articles. You may also find some great inspiration, support and resources at the bottom of this page.
*Problem drinking that becomes severe is given the medical diagnosis of “alcohol use disorder” or AUD. AUD is a chronic relapsing brain disease characterized by compulsive alcohol use, loss of control over alcohol intake, and a negative emotional state when not using. (Ref: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-use-disorders)