Friday Night Pep-Talk: What’s So Great About Being Sober?
It’s another Friday! YEY! I read so many brilliant posts this week recounting the amazing gifts of sobriety, and showing the struggles that bring forth the amazing revelations. When we get past the first few months we can actually start seeing why being sober is so amazing. But I know that early on, you’re still pondering:
What’s so great about being sober?
My first recollection of the greatness of sobriety, was one Saturday morning, as I was driving to work after being sober just about a week. It was 7 am, the sun was shining and I felt really good; my stomach was not churning and my head was not throbbing. I noticed right away how many people were on the road, and at the coffee shop and the gas station. I remember clearly thinking – wow! What are all these people doing up so early on a Saturday!? Is this normal? LOL!
I also read this beautiful post by Karen of Mended Musing blog, called Self-Love. The post filled my heart with so much delight! It reminded that we find an amazing fulfillment in sobriety. We are finally OK in our skins, and we are OK with others, we find pleasure in simple things, and we see life through new eyes.
Here are a few more posts that you might enjoy!
- Note to Self: Sobriety Is Cause for Celebration (runningonsober.com)
- The Value of Day Counting (themiracleisaroundthecorner.wordpress.com)
- Reflections in a Year sober (lifecorked.com)
So, what’s so great about being sober?
- You don’t have to spend the day in a hangover haze.
- No more waking up and having to throw up first thing.
- No more blacking out!
- No more red-eye or dry skin, or cotton mouth.
- No worries about still smelling from the night before.
- You don’t have to hide, lie or steel.
- You don’t have to worry about running out of booze.
- You aren’t taking out mountains of recyclables all the time.
- You can get in the car whenever you want and go.
- If you get pulled over, no worries about being hauled off to jail.
- People actually want to talk to you when they see you.
- A night’s sleep is usually restful.
- The start of the work week means you are at work.
- The weekends seem like 2 days, not two hours.
- You can finish the projects you have started.
- You can make plans and actually keep them.
- You can pay bills. Ha Ha – maybe not that great! LOL!
- You make true, honest friends, not just bar buddies.
- You save a heck of a lot of money.
- Your memories are crystal clear.
What do you think is so great about sobriety? What was the first thing you noticed?
For Other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts click HERE.
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with alcohol addiction, please click the Find Support link for an extensive list of support groups. Also please check out the links to many useful resources in the sidebar, and always feel free to contact me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also find some great inspiration and support from all the awesome sober bloggers listed in the side bar under POSTS I LIKE and RECOVERY BLOGGERS, as well as Sober Courage page on Facebook and Sober Courage on Twitter.