Reflections On The First Year of Sober Courage

Exactly one year ago today I clicked the very, very scary publish button to send my first post out to the great WordPress. As I look back to those early days and reminisce about how it all started and where it is now, I am unexpectedly reminded of my early days sober and the year that followed.

candleOh, that first year! What can I say… it’s hard, right? We often put down the drink and expect the instantaneous results! Then when it doesn’t happen we feel disappointed and want to give up. Early sobriety is filled with the uncertainty of the future, and the fear of the past, swirled up in the pink cloud, and often sprinkled with many new fears, and worries. The daily ups and downs seem overwhelming and everything is difficult and somewhat boring. I often felt like I was never going to be happy again!

Those early days are so very fragile. We put our feet out into the great, big unknown, sort of like clicking that big PUBLISH button for the first time! We wait… with the excitement of a little kid… and nothing happens? Yep, that was my first day publishing a post, nothing happened! LOL! There are still no likes or comments on my first post, and a total of only 56 views in the entire year since. But I did publish another post… and nothing happened again, in fact that post only had 11 views all year and my next one had only 9! Oh, I really wanted to quit… yet, I wrote another post!

To checkout my very first post click here >> READY!? Here comes day 1!

This was very much like my first few days sober, I made it through each day, waiting and expecting for something to happen – here is the magic, I thought, they say it gets better, I know it is coming, I can feel it! But things did not get better in those first few days, they actually seemed worse — sleepless nights, the sweating, the headaches, the constant irritability, and the fear of facing each day sober loomed over me! Those days went by sooo slowly and I often felt like giving up and going back to my life, as I knew it for years. But I kept going, I knew that sobriety was what I really wanted and desperately needed.

The same can be said about writing — with almost no activity on my blog for the first month, I felt like giving up! But I kept writing because I knew that I wanted to help others struggling with alcoholism, and/or deciding to get sober. I knew that there was more that I could do to help! I needed to get involved, I need to find more people like me, I needed to reach out, and learn how to blog and get involved with the readers.

I also needed to learn how to stay sober and reach out to others for help and support. This is a tough road and even tougher if you chose to travel by yourself! But, there are many, many support groups and both online and in person. (Check out Find Support link at the top of this page.) Since I was already a bit familiar with the 12-step program, I started attending meetings daily, and reading all the books I could, and collecting phone numbers and sharing how I felt with the group. It was hard to stay focused and on my path, but I just did it one day at a time.

FirstStep

And even though in the beginning all I could do is focus on not drinking, by the three-month mark I was more comfortable with myself and I started seeing the many positives in my life: no hangovers, good sleep, clearer mind, and happiness… the pink cloud was over me! As the days added up things were getting even better and easier. I was collecting tools for dealing with life’s challenges, and finally learning how to do it all without drinking. By my six month mark I was settled in a routine of meetings, and new ways of dealing with those really tough days like Fridays, weekends, and holidays! Life was not perfect, or peaches and cream all the time, but it was slowly becoming way better than the drunk existence I used to live in.

As the time moved on, I found so many new things to be grateful for, and new happiness was emerging in sobriety. By the time I hit one year sober, my life was completely different in so many ways, and it was overwhelming to look back and finally see how far I have come!

The same happened with my blog! It also had to grow and change and settled in its little routine. And it has certainly changed from the very first few posts to now! Today I like to write about recovery from the early sobriety perspective, and then compare those times to how amazingly different it is now! I have also I created the two series posts called Friday Night Pep-Talk and Sober Moms, and I usually write about twice a week on other recovery related topic. I often try to visit new blogs, and I continuously stride to stay connected and offer any support I can. Writing this blog has given me the opportunity to meet some really awesome, and very talented bloggers too! And it has provided me with lots of new growth, openness and support!

Connecting with other bloggers has enriched my life tremendously! Thank you all for sharing your journeys!

In the end, I have to remember that every beginning is hard! It’s just the way it is. But I can’t give up, I have to keep moving forward if I want my goals to become realities! And sometimes they may come slowly, but they always materialize if I work for them!

Congratulations! I enjoy and learn a great deal from your posts – and look forward to the next year of them too!

1. Thanks Robert, that’s very nice to hear. And thank you for offering great words of wisdom! I love your comments and perspective on sober life from long term recovery point of view! You’re a great inspiration!

Hugs!

2. mishedup says:

Happy Blog-aversary!!
    You do good work..grateful your voice is in the mix!!

1. Thank you Mishedup! Thank you for always coming by and leaving encouraging comments! Sensing ma!y hugs!

3. Congratulations on a year of blogging Maggie! I love your voice and your sincerity. 🙂

1. Thanks Karen! You were actually the first like on my blog! Woot woot! Thank you so much! I always enjoy your posts too and appreciate your support!

I hope your little one is enjoying kindergarten, two more weeks for us! Ugh and Yey!
      Hugs.

4. Well congratulations my friend. Your blog will help many people and I hope your really got a cup cake 🙂

1. Thank you so much! Your blog has helped me, for sure! He post about your road trip resonated with the similarities! I love what you said – They smoke and I don’t…case closed! – same here, they drink and I don’t…case closed!

Sending many hugs! Ps, no cupcakes but a nice sugared-up ice coffee!

5. Maggie – this is stupendous! I thought you had been at this longer! I have to say that you reach people in ways that a shlub like me can’t – you are proactive, you are so supportive and positive and you offer people so many avenues of help and give timely advice. Your message is always clear and you offer it with all your heart. Congrats on your blogaversary and thank you for being the wonderful you and doing such great service. You’re one of a kind 🙂

1. Hi Paul! Thank you for the kind words. I do have another blog that’s 12-step based and anonymous so I feel like that is my journal. In this blog I try to focus more on helping others and I am not anonymous. Also blogger is much easier to use so I had to learn how to use WordPress – definitely more challenging.

Thank you again, and likewise, for all your support and your amazing support to others! Hugs.

6. CONGRATULATIONS – you rock 🙂

1. Thank you Carrie! You rock too! Woot woot!

7. lifecorked says:

Maggie, I’m so grateful you’re here. Congrats on a year of writing. Keep it up! And, thanks for the links – I’ll check them out!

1. Thanks Chenoa! And thank you for being such a huge part of the sober-sphere and being so open and honest about your recovery! Hugs!

8. Dustin John says:

This is a great post and reflecting in your sobriety is so essential. The massive growth you have made in your life is just awesome! Also, thank you for the link. I appreciate that. 😉
    Let’s go another year of complete and total awesomeness. Everything is awesome! Everything is awesome!🎶

1. Lol! Everything is awesome! …Now I am gonna have that song stuck in my head! 😂 What could be better on a sober Monday morning… not much!

I always like to reflect back, I think when we are in the midst of it all we don’t notice the changes, until we stop and look and realize, wow, I’ve come a long way! It’s pretty cool.

Thanks Dustin John! Have an awesome day!

9. Tracy says:

Congrats Maggie on your one year of blogging!!! I have so enjoyed reading them and learning from you!!!!!! Keep em coming!:-)

1. Thank you Tracy! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photo journal. You find so many amazing images that this world offers every day. Even when things get tough you always find the beauty! Hugs!

1. Tracy says:

Thank you!!! Hugs back!!:-)

10. I am so happy to have found your blog thx to methadonemaze 🙂 I shared it right away on my twitter page. The beginning of my recovery was hard and a lot of what you wrote resonated with me, I just recently published a post about how I was bored at the beginning of my recovery http://lifesexperiencesandinspiringmoments.blogspot.ca/2014/08/have-you-ever-been-bored-in-recovery.html It wasnt easy. Also now that Im a soon to be mom, I cant wait to read more of your post about sober moms. When I first started blogging it took me a while to find like minded bloggers to connect with but since finding some its made the experience of blogging so much better. Im always looking for more recovering addict blogs. Take Care 🙂

1. Hi, Chelsie! Just checked our your blog and the awesome post. I’ll be sure to keep connected!

Congrats on getting ready to enter motherhood! It’s a whole new, and amazing journey, and believe it or not lots of what I learned in recovery I also apply to parenting.

Keep in touch! Hugs!

11. Happy anniversary Maggie! We are all so blessed to have you in our lives… if you don’t believe me, just scroll upwards 🙂

Here’s to many more years of being inspired by you, Maggie!

1. Thank you Josie! That is very sweet! And many more to you too! Hugs.

12. Congrats on a whole year of your blog – happy first birthday! xx

1. Thank you! Sending many hugs!

13. sweeteanola says:

CONGRATS!!! Albeit late but it takes me a while to get around. Thanks for the shout out. But really, thanks for all your support and for reading. So happy for you!

14. Court_Knee says:

Thanks for the shout out! (: