Friday Night Pep-Talk: 50 Great Sayings That Will Help Your Recovery

TGIF everybody!

I love recovery sayings or catch phrases. You know the ones, you see them from time to time plastered on the back bumper of someone’s vehicle.
image

Easy Does It… or First things first… or One Day at a Time… There are so many of them! They help me stay motivated and fill me up with hope, inspiration, encouragement, and so much more. They also remind me what’s important and what is not, and what I need to work on! Some of these are not really recovery based sayings but they were really important to me so I have included them here also.

These amazing sayings have helped me through the ups and downs in recovery. I hope that you may find some favorites here too.

1. Anger may identify a problem, but it will never solve one.
  2. Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect.
  3. Believe and you’re half way there.
  4. Change only happens when the pain of holding on is greater than the fear of letting go.
  5. Don’t quit 5 seconds before the miracle happens.
  6. Every day is day 1.
  7. Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day.
  8. Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
  9. Faith is not belief without proof but trust without reservation.
  10. Feelings are not facts.
  11. Keep attitude of gratitude.
  12. Forget all the reasons it won’t work and believe the one reason that it will.
  13. Gossip and criticism do not belittle the other person; they belittle me.
  14. H.A.L.T. = don’t get too Hungry, or too Angry, or too Lonely, or too Tired.
  15. HOPE – Hold On Pain Ends.
  16. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less.
  17. Don’t compare your insides to someone else’s outsides.
  18. If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.
  19. If you don’t want to slip, stay away from slippery places.
  20. If you want what the winners have, do what the winners do.
  21. If you want what you’ve never had, you must do what you’ve never done.
  22. I’m not going to give anybody free rent in my head.
  23. Live for today. Yesterday’s history. Tomorrow’s a mystery.
  24. Live life on life’s term.
  25. Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
  26. Nothing changes if nothing changes.
  27. PAIN: The effort required to cling to old ideas and old behaviors.
  28. Religion is for people who are afraid they’ll go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have been there.
  29. Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
  30. Seven days without a meeting makes one weak.
  31. SOBER- Son of a Bitch Everything Is Real
  32. Sobriety is like pizza… when it’s good, it’s really, really good, when it’s bad it’s still pretty good.
  33. The first step in overcoming mistakes is to admit them.
  34. The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.
  35. The only way to have gratitude is to live in the now, not in the past or the future.
  36. The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
  37. The power behind me is greater than the problem in front of me.
  38. The reason I’m here is because I’m not all there.
  39. There is no chemical solution to a spiritual problem.
  40. The road to disappointment (resentment) is paved with expectation.
  41. The road to sobriety is a simple journey for confused people with a complicated disease.
  42. The sun shines every day, even if you can’t see it.
  43. This too shall pass.
  44. We aren’t bad people trying to get good. Were sick people trying to get well.
  45. We get a daily reprieve, based on what we do today for our recovery.
  46. What other people think of me is none of my business.
  47. When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil.
  48. Winners do what they have to do and losers do what they want to do.
  49. Worry is a useless mulling over of things we cannot change.
  50. You are not responsible for your disease, but you are responsible for your behavior.
  51. _______________

Got any to add? Please share!

For Other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts click HERE.

1. greg w says:

I am not the sum of my defects.
    Relapse is not mandatory.
    You gotta own your side of the street.

2. greg w says:

Reblogged this on club east: indianapolis and commented:
    Maggie at Sober Courage posts a lengthy list of saying and catch phrases well known in recovery. I got so bold as to throw in a few at the bottom. And if you know of any more, feel free to add them, as well.

3. ASA says:

I heard a good one the other day:

“Never go into your head alone. It’s a dangerous place.”

Great list Maggie! XO!

1. Oh, that’s one I have to remember often! It is dangerous! Lol!

4. greg w says:

Just found this on Tired of Thinking About Drinking: Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

5. That’s a good one! I just though of one too: if you focus on the obstacles you can’t see your destination.

6. Relapse is part of the illness, not recovery.

1. Hmmmm. Wish I had that one when I went through my relapse years! Lol!

Thanks Paul! Hugs.

7. Tracy says:

Maggie this is awesome! Many of them I knew but others I didn’t!!!! And they were just what I needed:-) Here’s one I like: Life isn’t about avoiding the storms but instead learning to dance in the rain!!!

1. Oh, thank you! And I love this one. I spent years avoiding storms and trying to make them stop and trying to beat them to death! Never though to just learn how to dance in the rain. Ha! Love it. Thank you! Hugs.

1. Tracy says:

It works:-) I know! Had a few storms!!! Oxox

8. greg w says:

And yet another one: Never compare your inside to someone else’s outside.

1. Another great one! Thank you!

9. rivieradinah says:

These are great!

10. SLIP: Sobriety Loses Its Priority

Love this Maggie 🙂

1. Oh, that’s good one!

11. greg w says:

Don’t drink and derive. Alcohol and calculus don’t mix.

12. Court_Knee says:

Reblogged this on Young Drunk.

13. My husband pitched in a few:
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid
    Give Hugs Not Drugs
    If you always do what you’ve always done, you will always get what you’ve always got.
    GOD – Good Ordely Direction

14. Love this and the comments following, thanks for a great post Maggie x

1. Thanks Binki! Hope you’re doin well. Hugs.

15. Lisa W. says:

My sponsor tells me: Learn to deal with difficult people, not to help them, but to help yourself.

1. That’s a good one! Sure have to practice it every day, especially at work. But it makes life easier. 😀

Thanks Lisa. Hugs.