Friday Night Pep-Talk: Recovery Podcasts and Music Radio
It is Friday again, how are you going to stay sober?
Friday nights were super hard for me to stay sober through because when I was drinking they used to be my favorite days to drink, well, any day was my favorite day to drink, and I drank every day anyways… BUT. Friday night was the time that I could just plunge right into the massive drinking with no worries about tomorrow. It was the night that I put no limits on how much I drank either!
So when I first stopped drinking, I had to find new ways to occupy myself with all that free time on Fridays. Too much empty time was definitely dangerous to my new found sobriety.
There was not many choices back then, or maybe I just did not know about anything other than 12-step meetings, but now days there is a whole lot of support online. Recently I have especially enjoyed the recovery radio and podcast shows on the web. They are easy to listen too at any time, and get your mind engaged in something other than thinking about drinking! Most of all I get to listen to people from all walks of life sharing their experience, strength and hope, as well as enjoy some really cool music!
Here is a list of some of my favorite sites!
ADDICTION AND RECOVERY PODCASTS
- KLĒN + SŌBR Podcasts: Chris, Matt and Jeff interview various super influential people in today’s recovery world as they keep shunning stereotypes and shattering stigma of addiction and being in recovery from alcohol and other drugs.™
- Recovered Podcast: Mark and Greg discuss life through a 12-step lens. This is a show about people who have found a solution to their addiction problem. You may call in and join the conversation too!
- Recovery 101 Radio: Bruce, Shelly, and Mark are your hosts for the recovery radio program based loosely on 12 step recovery programs. The format is less like a meeting and more like going to coffee afterward. The “Meeting AFTER the meeting” as it were.
- SmartRecovery Podcasts: Learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research, discussed by the SmartRecovery panel of doctor from several pertinent fields.
- That Sober Guy Podcast: That Sober Guy (Shane) Podcast focuses on living a positive, healthy, sober lifestyle – stop drinking, stop using, and start living.
- The Bubble Hour: is hosted by Jean M., a sober woman dedicated to breaking down the walls of stigma and denial surrounding the disease of alcoholism.
PODCASTS FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY ADDICTION OF A LOVED ONE
- 100 Pedals: Each week host Dave Cook interviews passionate, vocal and experienced advocates for education and awareness relating to the addiction issues, and present real solutions for the parents of addicted children.
- Addicted to Addicts: Radio host Author Denise Krochta and her expert guests offer information, possibilities, relief, and hope. Hear all the important, and sometimes difficult, questions related to living with and around addicts and loving them.
- Growing Up Chaotic: Dawn Clancy discusses various topics for anyone that has been directly or indirectly affected by an alcoholic or drug addict and provides a fresh and modern approach to healing.
- The Recovery Show: 12 step recovery for those of us who love alcoholics or addicts. This is not an Al-Anon podcast, but we will talk about what we have experienced and learned through our participation in Al-Anon.
RECOVERY MUSIC RADIO
- Rock and Recovery: Based in the birthplace of the modern recovery movement, Akron, Ohio, Rock & Recovery is an online community built around the healing power of music for people dealing with addiction or trauma. We mix music with inspirational stories and messages to give you strength and hope.
- RAVECLEAN: A non-profit organization devoted to creating joy in the lives of others, purely through EDM (Electronic Dance Music) and dance, as well as collaborating with local communities to organize open, free to attend, drug and alcohol free, rave-style dances.
- 12StepRadio: Our primary purpose is Carry the 12 Step Recovery Message with Music. We provide a community where quality music that is related to recovery and the 12 Step message can be shared and enjoyed.
***All descriptions are from the content of the websites listed.
For Other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts click HERE.
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with alcohol addiction, please click the Find Support link for an extensive list of support groups. Also please check out the links to many useful resources in the sidebar, and always feel free to contact me anytime at email@example.com.
You may also find some great inspiration and support from all the awesome sober bloggers listed in the side bar under POSTS I LIKE and RECOVERY BLOGGERS, as well as Sober Courage page on Facebook and Sober Courage on Twitter.