The Powerful Voices of Unite to Face Addiction Rally
October 4, 2015 was a history-making day in fight against the stigma associated with addiction and recovery, and the determination to face addiction. An estimated 30,000 people showed up, along with 700 partners who joined for the first-ever rally and concert on the National Mall. It was a truly humbling and inspiring to be among such an amazing crowd of people affected by addiction and recovery.
There were many powerful speakers including the very inspiring Greg Williams the creator of The Anonymous People documentary, and the co-founder of Unite to Face Addiction, Michael Botticelli the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy and first government official to openly talk about his own recovery, as well as Dr. Vivek Murthy the Surgeon General who announced the country’s first ever report on addiction to come out next year.
I was especially inspired by Ivana Grahovac and William C. Moyers. Here are the videos of their speaches at the rally:
Ivana Grahovac, the founder of Transforming Youth Recovery
William C. Moyers the Vice President at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
I was also able to meet many of the remarkable writers and podcasters, who are extremely passionate about recovery, and who I have only known through this blog and the social media. Thanks to the amazing Laura Silverman who organized a pre-rally gathering and fundraiser, at the Argonaut Restaurant in DC as well as Jake D. Parent who had organized the Panel Discussion for the launch of his new book Hearts and Scars: 10 Human Stories of Addiction, we were finally able to socialize face to face!
It was truly powerful to meet everyone in real life, for the first time! I felt as comfortable as walking into a meeting – it may seem strange to an outsider, but there is something so very special about people in recovery – there is an immediate connection, and I never have to actually know anyone to always be able to relate to them when it comes to addiction and recovery!
I have listed their information here, and I hope that you check out their blogs, pods and books, and give them a huge shout-out for all the tireless work they continue to do to help break the stigma!
- Anna David (@annabdavid) of the After Party Magazine (@afterpartysite), and RehabReviews
- Chris, Matt, and Jeff of the Klen+Sobr and the Since Right Now podcast and founder of Recovery Renegade
- Holly Whitaker (@hipsobriety) of the Hip Sobriety blog, and co-host of HOME podcast
- Jake D. Parent (@jakedparent) author of Hearts and Scars: 10 Human Stories of Addiction
- Jon Gerler (@My Last Stand blog, RAVECLEAN, DJ FM and founder of #RecoveryPosse ) of the
- Jo Black Sullivan (@28daysmore) of the Nick’s Place, a young man’s recovery house
- Kelly Fitzgerald (@kellyfitz11) of the Sober Senorita blog, and writer for The Huffington Post, and Addiction.com
- Laura McKowen (@iflyatnight) of I Fly at Night blog, and co-host of HOME podcast
- Laura Silverman (@wearesober) of The Sobriety Collective blog, and the BAD STORY pod
- Nancy Carr (@nlcarrc) of Last Call blog and the author of Last Call: A Memoir
- Nicola O Hanlon (@nohrecovery) of I love Recovery Cafe website
- Paul Silva (@slowlybutshurly) of BUZKILL pod and Message in The Bottle blog
- Scott Magnuson (@sArgonout DC and Restaurant Recovery, and the author of Torn Together ) of
- Veronica Valli (@veronicavalli) of Recovery Rocks blog and author of Why you drink and How to stop: Journey to freedom
I am so very grateful for this awesome group of people who continue to use their voices to inspire and advocate for addiction support and recovery! The pride I felt with my fellows made me so thankful that I get to live this crazy-amazing life in recovery, every single day!
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with alcohol addiction, please click the Find Support link for an extensive list of support groups. Also please check out the links to many useful resources in the sidebar, and always feel free to contact me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also find some great inspiration and support from all the awesome sober bloggers listed in the side bar under POSTS I LIKE and RECOVERY BLOGGERS, as well as Sober Courage page on Facebook and Sober Courage on Twitter.