Anne Lamott is an American novelist and non-fiction writer. She is also a progressive political activist, public speaker, and writing teacher and a person in long term recovery from Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD). Her nonfiction works are largely autobiographical. Wikipedia
In 2017 Anne Lamott recorded a Ted Talk about the 12 Truths that she knows for sure, or almost for sure.
Here is the short list:
- The first and truest thing is that all truth is a paradox. Life is both a precious, unfathomably beautiful gift, and it’s impossible here, on the incarnational side of things.
- Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes.
- There is almost nothing outside of you that will help in any kind of lasting way, unless you’re waiting for an organ.
- Everyone is screwed up, broken, clingy and scared, even the people who seem to have it most together.
- Chocolate with 75 percent cacao is not actually a food.
- Every writer you know writes really terrible first drafts, but they keep their butt in the chair.
- Publication and temporary creative successes are something you have to recover from.
- Families are hard, hard, hard, no matter how cherished and astonishing they may also be.
- Food, try to do a little better.
- Grace is spiritual WD-40, or water wings.
- God just means goodness. It’s really not all that scary.
- Wow and yikes. It’s so hard to bear when the few people you cannot live without die.
Here is the Ted Talk – it is funny, heartwarming and very insightful. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
12 truths I learned from life and writing
“A few days before she turned 61, writer Anne Lamott decided to write down everything she knew for sure. She dives into the nuances of being a human who lives in a confusing, beautiful, emotional world, offering her characteristic life-affirming wisdom and humor on family, writing, the meaning of God, death and more.” (Ref: YouTube Ted)
ANNE LAMOTT social:
Website: Barclay Agency
Connect with Sober Courage on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
4 thoughts on ““12 Truths”·Anne Lamott·TED2017”
I need help
I’m on a horrible falling fast downward spiral. I need help. I can’t stop myself
Hi Terry! I am sorry to hear you’re in a bad spot. I have been there many times. Can you go to rehab? A detox at the hospital? Your primary doctor? An AA meeting? How can I help you? Please email me at email@example.com. Sending lots of love!
I love Anne Lamott. so wise and inspirational 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person