Friday Night Pep-Talks
You may find that Friday nights are especially challenging to get through sober! In early recovery, I had especially hard time on Fridays as my cravings were completely out of control. The excitement of the end of the workweek, and the “need” for a reward for all the hard work done, and the jealousy of “all the fun everyone else was having” made it very default not to pick up a drink and celebrate!! Of course I also thought that only “loser” did not party on Fridays – come to find out that many people do not party or drink on Fridays. (Of course, we do not find those people until we are sober ourselves!)
To help me endure the all mighty Fridays, I learned how to anticipate and plan for those nights. I started making plans to have things to do, like watch a movie, read a good book, hang out with a friend, go to a 12-step meeting or any none drinking event. This was essential for me to do, because white knuckling it every Friday night was absolutely exhausting, and it usually set me up for a relapse after I got tired of battling the cravings!
However, the more engaged I was in something else than the cravings were gone and the easier it was to get through the night sober! Eventually I stopped feeling like my Friday nights were a complete dud, and I found that Friday nights could be lots of fun without drinking!
I have created the Friday Night Pep-Talk series to share some awesome ideas that really helped me, and may help you stay sober, not only on Friday nights, but any time of the week!
Here are the other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts:
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: 100 Fun Things To Do Sober
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: 13 Essentials for Quitting Drinking
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: 55 Gifts of Sobriety
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: 50 Great Sayings That Will Help Your Recovery
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: “Addiction is a brutal, cunning, shapeshifting enemy”
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Dealing with Cravings
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Don’t Drink No Matter What!
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Don’t You Give In
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Finding Help and Support in Recovery
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: H.A.L.T and Recovery
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Happiness in Sobriety
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Sober Inspiration
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Make a Plan to Stay Sober
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Meditation for Recovery
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Sober Motivations
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Sober Movie Night
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Recovery Podcasts and Music Radio
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Recovery Network Connections
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Remember the Reality
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: The Sober Lifestyle
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: What’s So Great About Being Sober?
- Friday Night Pep-Talk: Where is the Addiction Bottom?
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)*, please check out the Sober Courage menu at the top of this page for an extensive list of support groups and recovery related articles. You may also find some great inspiration, support and resources at the bottom of this page.
*Problem drinking that becomes severe is given the medical diagnosis of “alcohol use disorder” or AUD. AUD is a chronic relapsing brain disease characterized by compulsive alcohol use, loss of control over alcohol intake, and a negative emotional state when not using. (Ref: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-use-disorders)