Sober Moms Posts
We as mothers are the pillars of the family, we are the nurtures, and the peacekeepers, and the tear wipers, and the scrape healers. We are not supposed to be alcoholics! This for me was an extremely difficult notion to accept, and I struggle even more because my biological mother was an alcoholic too, and I sure did not want to be like her. Of course, I did not understand that she was sick until I became an alcoholic myself.
Not having a mom growing up and no real structure in my life, I was just completely lost about parenting all together. I read many books and tried to find answers, but in the end, I found that the mothers in my sober community have been helping me the most! Together we are able support each other, and laugh about all the crazy things that parenting can bring.
In the end, I have found that being sober, is my biggest asset in parenting, because parenting is hard! It is non-stop, and it is demanding, and challenging, and it seems like you must have all the answers when you do not think that you have any! However, being sober keeps my mind completely clear to take on the day-to-day challenges. Being sober also allows me to have these amazing moments with my kids, which if I was still drinking, I would not be able to see, or experience, or be present for. Therefore, today I am grateful beyond measure that I am finally, a sober mom!
I have created the Sober Moms series to share some of the things that I have experienced as a parent and as a sober mom. I have had many amazing moments and of course, some of those oh, not so great too! Please check them out, and share your experience with the different topics as well as any advice that you might have in the comment section! Thank you and I hope that you find the posts helpful too!
- Sober Moms: Parenting is Scary, Really!
- Sober Moms: Talking About Alcohol
- Sober Moms: Talking About Recovery
- Sober Moms: From Despair to Motherhood
- Sober Moms: Parenting a Tween
- Sober Moms: Alcoholism, Motherhood and The Social Stigma
- Sober Moms: Explaining a DUI to My Daughter
- Sober Moms: Learning How to Parent Sober and Survive
- Sober Moms: Going to Any Lengths to Stay Sober
- Sober Moms: Happy Mother’s Day
- Sober Moms: I Have a Tween!
- Sober Moms: Sober Birthday Celebration
- Sober Moms: The Importance of Self-Care
- Sober Moms: The Sober Miracle
- Sober Moms: Celebrating Halloween Sober
- Sober Moms: My Kids My Sober Inspirations
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD)*, please check out the Sober Courage menu at the top of this page for an extensive list of support groups and recovery related articles. You may also find some great inspiration, support and resources at the bottom of this page.
*Problem drinking that becomes severe is given the medical diagnosis of “alcohol use disorder” or AUD. AUD is a chronic relapsing brain disease characterized by compulsive alcohol use, loss of control over alcohol intake, and a negative emotional state when not using. (Ref: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-use-disorders)