Friday Night Pep-Talk: 100 Fun Things To Do Sober
Happy Sober Friday!
There is always the worry when quitting drinking, that once you do, your life will become horribly boring! I have to be honest here, and say that in the beginning, life will definitely feel a bit boring. After all, we were used to doing everything with a drink in hand, so it is no coincidence that we tend to associated all the fun activities with drinking too. Then we get sober and take away the drinking and all of a sudden it seems that all the fun is gone too!
But, OK, let’s be honest here again, where those activities actually fun!? Maybe the first few hours, right? But if you drank anything like me, eventually you would find yourself falling down drunk and in a blackout, and have no recollection of any of this great fun the next day. Ugh. I don’t miss those days!
Having fun in sobriety can be a whole new learning process. Like a toddler learning how to walk, being sober means re-learning everything we thought we once knew how to do only while drinking. So, start with a few things and keep trying something every week. The greatest part of this process is that you may find some new things that are actually really fun to do sober! You can start right now!
Please leave your fun ideas in the comments section! Lets fill up this list!
- Play some fun mind games and sharpen your memory at Luminosity.com.
- Do crossword puzzles. You can find free kakuro puzzles at Kakuro.com and free Sodoku puzzles at Livewire Puzzles.
- Design your own T-Shirts at www.cafepress.com.
- Netflix! Find a series you never watched before but wanted to. Or revisit a series you loved.
- Make a collage of inspirational pictures/quotes, click HERE to see what I found on Google.
- If you have some money staffed away, and some free time, look into going on a sober cruises! Check out these offers at sobercruises.com.
- Do you love classical music, maybe play a classical instrument? You can now download free scores from free-scores.com!
- Re-watch a cartoon from your youth. Check out these classics right on YouTube.
- Visit an aquarium. We recently went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD and I absolutely loved it!
- Check out the Hello My Name Is… site, where the artist creates wonderful portraits of people in recovery.
- Take interactive online music & art lessons from 26 world-renowned teachers at artistworks.com.
- Check out My Yoga Works for online videos of yoga classes. Click HERE to start your 14-day free membership.
- Check out the Bubble Hour and find a great recovery podcast!
- Write your bucket list, check out the 100 ideas at Bucket List Ideas.
- Shopping! Of course who doesn’t like going shopping!
- Dumb fun: 15 dead stupid, utterly joyful PC games <<< need I say more!
- Take a long bike ride on a bike trail through the woods.
- How about learning rock climbing! www.earthtreksclimbing.com is a great site for instructions and classes!
- Watch TEDTalks – “1900+ talks to stir your curiosity“
- Forget Google Maps, check out Google Earth! I was born in Poland and I was actually able to visit the neighborhood where I grew up without leaving my couch. Very cool!
- Check out the Humans of New York site and Facebook page, loaded with personal stories of ordinary people.
- How about creating some cool coffee mugs, all you need is some sharpies and white mugs. Check out these ideas HERE.
- Bake cupcakes or a cake, and decorate. There are many ideas at Bake Decorate Celebrate.
- Join a Photo a Day Challenge. Check out the prompt for today at Fat Mum Slim.
- Visit a museum, or a historical landmark.
- Check out Minecraft! Minecraft is a game where you dig (mine) and build (craft) different kinds of 3D blocks within a large world of varying terrains and habitats to explore.
- Find a new outfit for your little pooch, you can find some fun clothes at Puppy Love Couture!
- Start a free blog at WordPress. It is really easy!
- Want to chat with me? Google + MagzShores(SoberCourage), or send me a tweet @Sober Courage on Twitter, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take an art class at the local community center.
- Research your ancestors at Ancestry.com, they have a 14 day free trail.
- Want to design a car? You can go to your favorite car make’s sites and build the car of your dreams. Check out the Aston Martin site!
- Write a letter (remember those?) to someone you miss.
- Listen to your old CDs – I have boxes of these!
- Make a wiki page at WikiPedia.
- Create a Photo Book of your greatest memories, or a recent vacation. See Shutterfly for some cool ideas.
- Learn origami with this tutorial. You don’t have to be Japanese to be good at it!
- Design your dream room or make 3D structures on Sketchup! The program is completely free!
- Take a class to learn how to play a musical instrument.
- Maybe you are a money guru, there is a website full of investment classes just for you here: 158 Free Investment Classes From Morningstar!
- Make some money by selling your stuff online, you can use eBay, CraigsList and now even Amazon!
- Pick something you love, and then make a website about it! Get started at Webs.
- Get a pedicure or a manicure, they are fairly inexpensive and make you feel well pampered.
- Check out these amazing stories of recovery from people who are not anonymous, at IAMNOTANONYMOUS.org.
- Go to a spa and get pampered.
- Make a tie dye t-shirt. Check out these ideas here: Michael’s.
- Explore a city or a town close by, if you are on the east coast, Annapolis, MD is awesome!
- Find things to donate to Goodwill.
- Exercise!! I know, not my favorite ether but, I found this cool site that makes it much more fun and you can do it at home. Check out: Fitness Blender.
- Go to the local hardware store, like Home Depot – I am telling you, it’s an amazing place really!
- Make a pop-up greeting card, check out this video on YouTube.
- Read the dictionary at the Merriam-Webster site – you’d be surprised what great words you can find.
- Find inspiration to stay sober at The Rooms Project website, where everyday people share their strength and hope.
- Make Fruit Leather – aka Fruit Roll-Up. See this easy recipe at Simply Recipes.
- Watch an old “feel good” movie. – My favorite: Singles!
- Rearrange the furniture in your house.
- Discover new music at Last.fm! This is a music service that is personalized based on the music you play.
- Design your own Nike shoes at NIKEiD. Very cool!
- Learn about something new at About.com.
- Try on ALL the clothes in your closet.
- Start a garden, indoor or out! Here is a how-to at the BHG site.
- Pamper yourself with a facial. Here are some home-made recipes: beauty.about.com.
- Check out In The Rooms, a great recovery community – it’s like Facebook for people in recovery!
- See a movie at the drive-in! Oh this is definitely on my list to do!
- Bring a blanket and lie on the grass at an outdoor concert.
- Make homemade ice cream, there are many great recipes at AllRecipes.com.
- Paint a room! You can use this Room Visualizer to get some good ideas.
- Go to the zoo, or find a petting zoo.
- Learn how to make something at wikiHow.
- Get lost on Pinterest, and find ideas for all your projects and interests.
- Meditate! There are many ways to do this and you don’t have to be an expert either. Check the How to Meditate site.
- Take a fitness class, martial arts, rock climbing, yoga. Sometimes first time classes are free or discounted.
- Take some fun quizzes. Are you left brained or right-brained? Take the test Here.
- Take up fabric crafts. Knitting, Sewing, andCrochet are fun to do.
- Go swimming, indoor pools are often available at your local gym!
- If you love to read books, than you probably would love to write some reviews at Goodreads.
- Check out Google Translate and translate some words or sentences into any language you want.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter; they are often looking for people just to pet the animals.
- Is it wintertime? Go ice skating or skiing!
- If you love DIY projects the POPSUGAR site has many simple ideas.
- Take some picture around your neighborhood from a really low vantage point – it will make everything look HUGE!
- Learn how to take better selfies, check out these ideas: HERE.
- Learn code! Yes! This is very cool if you’re a techie geek like me. There are free, interactive lessons at Codecademy. Check it out!
- Have a sober movie night! Check out these addiction/recovery themed movies at Friday Night Pep-Talk: Sober Movie Night.
- How about going down the memory lane! Check out the My 80’s TV site. Very cool!
- Want to click cookies for no reason what so ever? Well, here is a perfect game for you: Cookie-Clicker!
- Check out answers to your burning questions on Quora.
- Make mp3 files from all your CDs so you can synch them to your phone! Here is a how to: Rip music from a CD.
- Have you ever wanted to create a cool Facebook cover or a logo? Check the Canva.com site HERE to create a cool design for free!
- Gather up a few of your sober buddies and go play Mini Golf!
What do you do for fun? Lets fill this list up and make it to 100!!!!
For the updated version for the list click here: 100 Fun Things to Do Sober – 2016
For other Friday Night Pep-Talk posts click HERE.
If you, or anyone you know, is struggling with alcohol addiction, please click the Find Support link for an extensive list of support groups. Also please check out the links to many useful resources in the sidebar, and always feel free to contact me anytime at email@example.com.
You may also find some great inspiration and support from all the awesome sober bloggers listed in the side bar under POSTS I LIKE and RECOVERY BLOGGERS, as well as Sober Courage page on Facebook and Sober Courage on Twitter.